Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Blah-Blah-Blahg: Food For Nought

A Word on Table Etiquette

 











(I KNOW I had to take Etiquette lessons as a child)

Although I am not a wasp and did not grow up in the penthouse of a fancy hotel, I do know a thing or two about table manners. I recently attended a wedding at which an entire table was chewing gum - like a herd of bored, masticating cows. I was in shock - SHOCK - I say. Then I took note of how they were eating and leaving their table.

So, I thought I would write a few notes on some common dining foibles. Some ill-informed diners may push their plate away when they have finished eating.  Please leave your plate where it is in the place setting.  Actually, you should attempt to keep the same place setting throughout the dinner, so that all items remain in the same location that the host/hostess intended.  The common way to show that you have finished your meal is to lay your fork and knife diagonally across your plate.  Place your knife and fork side by side, with the sharp side of the knife blade facing inward and the fork, tines down, to the left of the knife.  The knife and fork should be placed so as to resemble 10:20 PM on a clock face.  Be sure to arrange them in such a way that they do not slide off the plate when being removed.  This could be catastrophic for your white pants!!! Once you have used a piece of silverware, never place it back on the table or leave a used spoon in a cup; place it on the saucer.  Any unused silverware is simply left on the table.

No comments: