Sunday, May 18, 2008

Blah-Blah-Blahg: Food For Nought


So, I got rear ended this week and what I've lost in mobility and ease of mind... I hope to gain in perspective. But I don't think that's going to happen in light of my most recent fixation - the honey bees. I know... I'm a bit late in boarding that worry train. Häagen Dazs has already infused the cause with it's ad campaign that has left an indelible mark on my consciousness. Unfortunately, this obsession reveals more about the lack of stimulation in my daily life than the genius of the company's graphics and the wit of the people responsible for posting honeybee trivia on their videogame cum pleasuregarden cum acidflashback cum comeagain? website: HelpTheHoneyBees.com

As I rest in bed with my laptop, thinking of my next chiropractic visit, trying not to make any quick movements while controlling an animated honeybee that leads me through the strangely enchanting Häagen Dazs fields, these are the things of immediate concern:

• every third bite of food produced in the U.S requires the pollination of fruits and vegetables by honeybees
• does my local supermarket carry the all new Häagen Dazs Vanilla Honey Bee Flavor? Will they deliver it?
• how long will it be before I can do a head stand? (better than horse tranquilizers for its enduring calming effect)
• my chiropractor's tapered fingers were so pretty - he is a man over 6 feet tall - but his fingernails were like almonds
• almonds - they are completely dependent upon honeybee polllination - and they are the perfect nut
• did you know that honeybees (Apis mellifera)are actually an invasive species? Yup, they arrived in the U.S. with the first European colonists
• local bee pollen is said to relieve or cure allergies when added to your diet
• honey will NEVER spoil - I kind of like it when it starts to look like a childhood crystal growing experiment - crunchy!
• I've got to plant some nasturtiums and so should you - you can eat these low maintenance, colorful flowers and they feed wild bees

No comments: